Saturday, August 27, 2011

Vegetation: The woes of a couch potato.

Every time I log into Blogger, I promise myself that I will post regularly, regardless of whether people are reading my posts or not. But as you can imagine, that never seems to happen, and I am almost always afflicted with mind-numbingly severe cases of writers’ block when I actually decide to post. Diligently following Murphy's law, my brain kicks into action with sarcastic and interesting anecdotes- forming in my head oh-so-conveniently, smack in the middle of my Mechanics of Materials class: where I am desperately trying to stay awake and make notes. (I’ve long since given up after countless instances of writing the same equation ten times on the page, each attempt worse than the previous, culminating in a scrawl at the bottom which reads: “copy notes from summon". And no, that’s not someone’s name, its me struggling to write the word “someone” while in a semi-comatose delirium). I am fully aware of the fact that my previous post says EXACTLY the same thing, but its my blog and I’m the boss of it so, HA!

Ok, that’s quite enough of my convincing myself that I need to blog more. Now onto some more ridiculous rubbish.

Weekend television absolutely sucks. True story.

I always come home from the hostel on weekends looking forward to getting more than 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep (sadly, a distant dream), good home food, clean bathrooms, and very importantly, my Idiot box. (This sentence totally squashes my claims of coming home to spend some quality time with familia. But more on that, later).

Point is, my excitement promptly crumbles to abject horror/disgust/disappointment when I find myself faced with the choice of watching India’s Most Desirable (Why does this show even exist? It’s so utterly pointless. No, I do NOT want to know about Siddhartha Mallya’s dog); The Vampire Diaries (The only thing worse than a series of books on glittery, hormonal/pubescent angst riddled "vampires" is an entire show about them), or Grey’s Anatomy (The only medical show I like is House. ‘Nuf said. Patrick Dempsey can shove all his hotness down the toilet).

You would think that on the weekends when people are largely at home looking to just laze around and vegetate, the Gods of TV would want to bless them with the gifts of pure, unadulterated entertainment. You would be sadly mistaken. The Gods of TV have a very twisted sense of humour, and they certainly aren’t afraid to exercise it. That, coupled with the fact that your legs have turned to stone, ensure that you settle yourself in front of the TV to treat yourself to some Saas bahu level drama and stoop so low so as to laugh at Family Guy “jokes”.

Having said that, here are a few shows I’ve stooped so low as to watch over the holidays/weekends:

Keeping up with the Kardashians: The best reason I have in my defence for watching this is that it used to come in between The Big Bang Theory and Friends. Add to this psychotic crises like “Oh Mom, Kim only cares about herself and her Bentley” coming from 28-something year old women, and you’ve got yourself entertainment that makes you feel like your IQ is 250. No kidding.

Gossip Girl: Fairly hot guys.

Family Guy: Contrary to popular belief, this show is NOT funny.

Two and a half men: Neither is this.

Oh My Gold!: I don’t like gold jewelry. Future boyfriends/fiancĂ© take note. Lisa Ray is, however, mildly entertaining.

On that very glittery note, I’ll end this post before it spirals into the 7th dimension of the Planet Pandora (No, I don’t like Avatar. That movie really tried my patience). I’ve realised I’m not getting anywhere.
But yeah, well.. at least I got around to posting something!

1 comment:

  1. Not getting somewhere is often a nice way to write, isn't it - stream of consciousness :) Came here via The Fifth Estate, good luck with regular blogging :)

    Sathej

    ReplyDelete